Re: Tech-Whirl? and my 2 cents on the gender issue

Subject: Re: Tech-Whirl? and my 2 cents on the gender issue
From: SuePStewrt -at- AOL -dot- COM
Date: Tue, 31 May 1994 11:03:08 EDT

>>Oh, and I find "they/their" to be the best substitute for he/she/his/her.
As was noted in a previous post, this usage has been common for centuries,
and
therefore, it is readily understood (readers readily understand it?).<<

I did an informal poll of users and found that the use of "they/them/their"
as a singular pronoun was profoundly disturbing and caused them to doubt the
quality of the documentation due to the obvious grammatical incorrectness.
Now, I may have an extremely educated group of users here, but I agree with
them. The use of "they" as a singular makes my skin crawl!

Shall we begin using "ain't"? It's been used for centuries and is readily
understood, too! ;-) suepstewrt -at- aol -dot- com