Re: Degreed and insulted!! Was:Beginner...

Subject: Re: Degreed and insulted!! Was:Beginner...
From: SuePStewrt -at- AOL -dot- COM
Date: Fri, 27 May 1994 09:39:19 EDT

Joan M. Smith said: >>... I read that a hiring manager doesn't even look to
see if someone is degreed/qualified with courses for writing. <<

I didn't keep this post, so I may not be accurate, but I believe the manager
said that education was among the *last things* he or she looked for, not
that it didn't matter at all.

What this post pointed out was that EXPERIENCE is the number one criteria.
When I was a hiring manager, I followed many of the same procedures as were
listed in the offending post. I looked for track record, for experience in
working on large projects, for proven ability to produce.

Yes, I preferred candidates with Journalism or Tech Com degrees.
(Sorry--English is only marginally better than a totally unrelated field;
English majors may get more writing practice than most other majors, but it
is seldom *appropriate* writing for tech com. And before I get flamed, I'll
throw in here that my BA is triple-major: English/Journalism/Music.) But
I'd choose a business major who had developed, proven writing skills over a
Tech Com major with no real-world experience in technical writing.

It's the same old thing--get the training, then get the experience. Then
YOU"LL be preferred over the bus. major, because you should have a stronger
foundation in writing skills. At least I hope you do! :-)
suepstewrt -at- aol -dot- com