Still more on zip

Subject: Still more on zip
From: Marguerite Krupp <mkrupp -at- CAYMAN -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 27 May 1994 13:42:47 EDT

Hey folks, my sister's one of those people who operates a letter-sorting
machine for the post office. You wouldn't believe the gyrations they have
to go through when the zip code is wrong. Believe it or not, a real person
has to read the zip and direct every piece of mail that's not barcoded!

Using the correct zip is an enormous help to these folks...and it will help
get your mail to the right place in a timely manner. The post office is a
hellish work environment, but the workers really do try to do their jobs.

Putting the *wrong* zip code on your letter is guaranteed to delay it.
They're not mind readers, and they have to process several letters per
second (yes, per second).

Sorry if I sound like I'm on a soapbox, but that's the inside scoop.

Marguerite

"All jobs are temporary, but some come with benefits." - John Garrison