HyperWise (looong append)

Subject: HyperWise (looong append)
From: mpriestley -at- VNET -dot- IBM -dot- COM
Date: Thu, 26 May 1994 11:01:27 EDT

If you're interested in OS/2 or Windows help authoring, read on - otherwise
curse me under your breath and hit the delete key.

I got a fair number of requests for additional info, which is why I'm posting
this to the list. I've got the package now, but I won't have time to try it
out until late next week, so in the meantime I'm going to append pertinent
blather from the official IBM announcement.
Don't hold me responsible for its grammar or spelling. BTW: the announcement
refers to HyperWise users as "developers" throughout. This is an IBM quirk:
instead of saying "technical writer", or just "writer", they say
"information developer", or just "developer".

But first some warnings: HyperWise does _not_ generate RTF help (Windows-style
help). It generates IPF help, and includes a viewer that enables you to use
the help on Windows (I'm now unclear as to whether you can compile on Windows -
they sure don't seem to be encouraging it). OS/2 help provides all the
functionality of Windows help (at least I'm pretty sure it does), but with
some added bonuses. From the announcement letter, I'm unsure as to how
much of the multimedia and extensibility bonus will be portable to Windows.
Once I play around with it a bit, I'll know more. IBM's goal was 100%
compatibility, but if you include OS/2-specific system calls, I assume it's
up to you to provide a Windows equivalent (one of the nice things about
IPF is that it allows you to blur the line between help and rest-of-system,
by making calls to external blocks of code, and displaying the results
within an IPF-controlled window). If you stick to _basic_ IPF functionality
(ie just text, graphics, and various forms of links), you should be able to
use the same file to provide help for both systems without tweaking, and
without recompiling.

OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT STUFF:

ABSTRACT
Hyperwise Version 1.0 is a productivity tool for application and title
developers. Hyperwise enables What-You-See-Is-What-You-Get (WYSIWYG)
authoring of hypertext on-line information and application help for OS/2(R)
and Microsoft** Windows(1).
With Hyperwise, developers can use simple drag-and-drop techniques to link
text, audio, video and graphics. Developers can link to audio (.WAV and .MID)
and video (.AVI) extension files supported in OS/2 2.1. Hyperwise also
enables developers to link to and start other applications. Because Hyperwise
uses viewports and gives ownership of those viewports to other applications,
the use of new technologies and media to which developers can migrate
information is almost unlimited.
The Information Presentation Facility (IPF) for Microsoft Windows is packaged
with Hyperwise, so the same information compiled for OS/2 IPF is viewable on
Windows. This single sourcing increases productivity and enables developers
to use OS/2 for their development platform, regardless of the platform on
which their applications run.
Another benefit of Hyperwise is the limited disk space it requires to store
output. When Hyperwise exports a readable format, it compresses text and
graphics up to 80%.
Planned Availability Date: May 31, 1994
Part Program
Number Name
83G7829 Hyperwise Version 1.0
83G8175 AL Hyperwise Version 1.0
(R) Registered trade-mark of International Business Machines Corporation and
is used under license by IBM Canada Ltd.
(1) Trade-mark of Microsoft Corporation

HIGHLIGHTS
Hyperwise Version 1.0:
o Easy-to-use WYSIWYG editing
o Improved productivity of 25% to 50%
o Drag-and-drop techniques to link text, audio, video and graphics
o Multiple platform read capability
o IPF for Micorsoft Windows, for single sourcing
o Compression of text and graphics up to 80%, when exporting a readable
format

DESCRIPTION
Hyperwise is a productivity tool for programmers and title developers. It is
a WYSIWYG editor for authoring hypertext on-line information and application
help for OS/2 and Microsoft Windows. It improves productivity over current
methods by 25 to 50%.
PRODUCTIVITY - WYSIWYG authoring of on-line information
What-You-See-Is-What-You-Get authoring is easier to learn and use than current
methods. Simple drag-and-drop techniques are used for linking text, graphics,
audio and video.
GROWTH to OTHER MEDIA - Supports OS/2 2.1 video and audio formats
Linking to audio (.WAV and .MID) and video (.AVI) files that are supported in
OS/2 2.1 are available in Hyperwise. Because of its use of application
viewports, there is no limit to the use of new technologies and media the
author can migrate their information to.
CROSS-PLATFORM READ - Author the file once and read in OS/2 and MS Windows
Support for reading the same file authored in Hyperwise is available in this
package for reading on MS Windows.
50 to 80% COMPRESSION - limited disk space is required to store output
With Hyperwise, exporting to the readable form, compresses text and graphics
up to 80%.

Product Positioning
Hyperwise is a competitive product. It incorporates linking, editing and
compiling in one product, while competitors require customers to purchase an
editor, a linker and a compiler. The capability for Hyperwise to grow with
technology and media, also makes it more attractive.
Customer reuse of information is a key feature of Hyperwise. IPF on Windows
engine is packaged with Hyperwise, making Hyperwise a product that satisfies
the cross-platform application and information development that is so common
today. Application and title developers are encouraged to use OS/2 as their
authoring and development platform.

Orders may be placed by calling IBM Direct - toll free at 1-800-465-7999.
(note: I assume that's N. America only)

Michael Priestley
mpriestley -at- vnet -dot- ibm -dot- com
Disclaimer: IBM's announcement letter, not mine. Outside of the announcement:
my opinions, not IBM's.