Re: beginner seeks info

Subject: Re: beginner seeks info
From: Richard Sobocinski <"Richard_G_Sobocinski%~WHC207"@CCMAIL.PNL.GOV>
Date: Thu, 26 May 1994 14:57:00 -0700

From: "Andrew J. English" <aenglish -at- CRL -dot- COM>
> Seems to me
>that much technical writing is about knowing a product or
>service well, and documenting it; knowing a product and
>being able to explain it is more important than using proper
>grammar and spelling.

Spelling and grammer are probably MORE important to technical
writing, because a misunderstood instruction or description
could cause serious injury or death. Not all tech writing is
related to software documentation. Our language has certain
accepted standards for structure and spelling. If we all
stick to those standards the chances of miscommunication
decrease.