Technical Writers in NY

Subject: Technical Writers in NY
From: Chet Ensign <DOCCOE -at- IBIVM -dot- IBMMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 23 May 1994 10:07:51 EDT

Jerold,

Hi. I work for a software firm in New York City, and I live in New
Jersey. I really can't say much about average salaries here, but I can
give you some idea of cost of living.

In New York City, the vacancy rate is very, very low. If you are willing
to share an apartment with one or more roommates, you can get by for
around $500/month. If you want a place on your own, $850 to $1000 per
month is probably more like it. That is in Manhatten. If you go out to the
boroughs -- Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island -- you can find places in the
range of $500 to $600/month. You'll also have to add on the commute. I
used to live in Brooklyn and my commute was about an hour door2door.

Transportation is another big expense. The subway and the buses are 1.25
per ride and that cost will undoubetedly go up again. Taxis are quite
expensive these days; you can run up a $15 to $20 bill without any trouble.

Food is probably about the same as it would be anyplace else, except that
eating out is the local pastime of choice. (A former-Los Angelesite once
told me that, in LA, your apartment is where you go to escape from the city
but in NY, the city is where you go to escape from your apartment.)

Best regards,

/chet

--
Chet Ensign
Information Builders, Inc. 212-736-6250 X4349

internet: doccoe -at- ibivm -dot- ibmmail -dot- com
ibmmail: USUBUVMV -at- IBMMAIL
compuserve: 73163,1414