Re: How do I show an example?

Subject: Re: How do I show an example?
From: Anne Halseytechwriter <ach -at- TOMICHI -dot- STORTEK -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 18 May 1994 14:17:27 -0600

Gentle Jim:

There are two solutions which come readily to mind. The first is
to arbitrarily select an Entity Attributes screen which you feel
is representative (average number of modifiable data fields, for
example). Show that screen, saying that you will get an
entity attribute screen (notice lowercase) of this type but
specific to the type of entity being defined. In a corresponding
matrix, list every possible entity attribute for every possible
entity type (I'm assuming type 'car' always has the same
attributes ('color', 'engine', 'transmission', for example).

The other solution is to again do the representative screen. In the
supporting text, direct the user to an appendix or supplemental
reference which shows the screen for each entity type ('car', 'boat',
'spaceship') and defines the data fields for each type. This
is only really practical to do if you have a finite number of
entity types (say, 100 or so) and if each instance of a type always
has the same data fields.

Hope this helps.

Anne Halsey
senior tech writer, storagetek