Re: 'gypped' -- a no no

Subject: Re: 'gypped' -- a no no
From: "David L. Bergart" <bodafu -at- CCVAX -dot- SINICA -dot- EDU -dot- TW>
Date: Thu, 12 May 1994 09:10:52 +0800

Well...it could be a reference to Gypsy Rose Lee, who never *quite* took it
all off, and therefore cheated here audience.

Or perhaps it comes from Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia, in Canada. They
have a lot of gypsum in the ground, and it is not uncommon to dig a well and
discover the water is unusablely contaminated -- "Damn, I've been gypsumed!"

Certainly, God did not take time from her busy schedule to come down and
pass me the word, but I'm quite certain that 'Gypsy' is the origin. If it's
not, I'd love to know. I *do* like the sound of the word.

I was not offended, and I did not intend my note as a flame; just a comment in
a forum devoted to usage of the language (wait a minute -- you mean this is
*not* alt.sex.bestiality.hamster.duct-tape?). Doug -- I know you used the word
innocently; thats why I didn't address you by name.

If anyone dares to accuse me of political correctness, I *will* flame. PC
gives me hives.

David

David L. Bergart bodafu -at- ccvax -dot- sinica -dot- edu -dot- tw bodafu -at- TWNAS886 -dot- bitnet
Copy oddity^h^h^h^h^h^heditor, Botanical Bulletin of Academia Sinica, Taiwan