Re: E-Primer and Sad, But True

Subject: Re: E-Primer and Sad, But True
From: Carl Miller <ccm -at- MAYBERRY -dot- CRAY -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 10 May 1994 14:13:44 CDT

<<Pardon if this note sounds dated; I tried sending (most of) it yesterday.>>

Barbara J. Philbrick said:

> I'm ambivalent on this issue, but some people are fanatic. I met a technical
> writer once who poked his head over my cube, said "Do you use passive voice?"
> I had no quick, qualified answer, but mumbled something about "Yes, I do." He
> immediately said, "Passive voice should be eliminated." How's that for a
> first-time greeting?

Maybe I missed something, Barb, but it sounds like he was pulling your leg. He
phrased his response in the passive voice.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Now, to Barb and Ann and Beth, who are wondering what to do Saturday night in
beautiful downtown Minneapolis, may I suggest the following:

Most stores and shops close on Saturday at 6:00. But if the weather cooperates,
you can easily walk up and down the Nicollet Ave mall. It runs from 11th or
12th Street north to Washington Ave (equivalent of 2nd St). There are also
quite a few restaurants in the 1300 and 1400 blocks of Nicollet Ave just west
and SW of the Hilton. And there is quite a bit to see (still within walking
distance) NW of the Hilton along Hennepin Ave (movies, theaters, restaurants).

A bit further away than you might care to walk is the Metrodome where the Twins
are hosting the Baltimore Orioles. Maybe you could check at the consierge desk
at the Hilton for other ideas. I'd name a dozen of my favorites but fear I'd
overlook one that appeals to someone else, or suggest something that you'd try
but might not like. (Just my opinion; hey, the place was my home town.)

Better yet, contact Mike (espi0004 -at- gold -dot- tc -dot- umn -dot- edu) who lives there now.

Carl Miller
ccm -at- cray -dot- com