prepositions ending sentences

Subject: prepositions ending sentences
From: Thomas Barker <DITTB -at- TTACS -dot- TTU -dot- EDU>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 1994 12:32:32 -0600

Jim Venis recently quoted Winston Churchill as saying:

"This is the kind of impertinence up with which I will
not put."

when criticized for ending sentences with prepositions. I have
heard the story, but with a different quote, viz:

"This is precisely the kind of tyranic pedantry up with
which I will not put."

I like this version better, because it makes sense in terms of
the officiousness of the original criticism.

The last word: when I asked my students once to relate to me the
grammar rules that had stuck with them over the years, one wrote:

"Never end a sentence with a proposition."

I, for one, can think of many useful applications for this rule!

Thomas Barker
Texas Tech University
Lubbock, Texas