Re: Prepositions ending sentences

Subject: Re: Prepositions ending sentences
From: Len Olszewski <saslpo -at- UNX -dot- SAS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 1994 15:12:47 -0400

Vicki Rosenzweig says:

[...]

> don't feel we need to worry about ending sentences with
> prepositions, but if you do, try to keep track of whether it
> makes sense to take the phrase apart: "The number they begin
> with" can be turned into "the number with which they begin,"
> because the verb is "begin" (and can be replaced with
> "start" if you like);

Or, with very little effort, you can write phrases such as "beginning
with the number", and eliminate the distraction which the swinging
preposition presents for some readers, myself among them.

|Len Olszewski, Project Manager |"It is not enough to succeed. Others|
|saslpo -at- unx -dot- sas -dot- com|Cary, NC, USA| must fail." - Gore Vidal |
| Opinions this ludicrous are mine. Reasonable opinions will cost you.|