Re: Help with phrasing

Subject: Re: Help with phrasing
From: Robert Bononno <bononno -at- ACF2 -dot- NYU -dot- EDU>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 1994 21:17:55 -0400

Jack,

I couldn't help laughing as I read this (you do stand up?). While I agree
with your analysis and reluctance to use retrofit, I'm stuck with it. As
I mentioned in the initial message (well, maybe you're not really
addressing my initial message. Sorry to be such an egotist.) this
appeared in a translation I was working and I have to use "retrofit."
That's what the customer has decided on (it appears in the source text,
and in a number of their docs) and that's what I've got to use. I can
play around with the rest of the phrase to a certain extent, however.

I don't know if a retrofit is a backward anything, by the way. It's more
like an add-on, something they do after the machine has been built and
shipped to the customer. It's retro only in the sense of being done after
the fact. I thought this was fairly standard usage in industry?

Robert Bononno /// Techline
bononno -at- acf2 -dot- nyu -dot- edu
CIS 73670,1570