Technical Writers Don't Laugh Enough

Subject: Technical Writers Don't Laugh Enough
From: "Vollbach, Elizabeth" <evollbach -at- CCLINK -dot- LOGICON -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 1994 08:23:34 PST

Please. Laugh. First, I'll admit, we have a very funny (funny as in
ha ha, not strange) technical writer where I work in San Diego, at
Logicon 4GT. But in my 12 years of technical writing, I haven't come
across many other tech writers with much sense of humor. Personally,
although I wish I were funny, I usually am not; but I laugh.

I laughed at Fred Wersan's description of the button with the word
"abort" and a picture of a gun. Heck, if that was on my keyboard,
every time I had to use it I'd laugh. I'm laughing right now just
picturing it.

Why do so many of us technical writers have to take ourselves so
seriously? Because we can laugh at different aspects of our
profession or of documentation, we aren't belittling technical
writing; we're enjoying it.