Internal postings

Subject: Internal postings
From: Patti Waterbury <waterbp -dot- csc -at- MHS -dot- ELAN -dot- AF -dot- MIL>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 1994 10:11:00 PST

Form: Memo
Text: (29 lines follow)
Regarding:
> A colleague of mine has been job hunting for a technical writing >
> position. [...] Twice she has been well suited for a job, but learned
> that someone inside the company received the position.

> IBM calls it a Box Job; that is, a person in the company needs a new
> position and a description is made around that person. After a wide job
> search, only one candidate is found to match the description--the
original
> employee.

> The whole thing is frustrating for the outside applicant. Has anyone
else
> had experience with this kind of thing?

This is pretty much standard operating procedure for my company. They
always do an internal posting and outsiders can apply only after a closing
date. More often than not, the position is filled from within the company
before the closing date. Quite a few of these new positions' requirements
are tailored to meet the skills of someone who needed a promotion. In one
recent case, they only conducted one interview for a position that had
been posted internally. It irritated me because I had a friend who is more
qualified than the person that was selected. It was totally political.

Patti Waterbury
waterbp -dot- csc -at- mhs -dot- elan -dot- af -dot- mil or PattiW47 -at- aol -dot- com

Disclaimer: I don't represent any opinions but my own. I don't speak for
my company.
Attachment Count: 0
Encatts: *beyond*|*beyond*|371|7254|766170705|