Re: renaming help

Subject: Re: renaming help
From: Chuck Martin <techwriter -at- VNET -dot- IBM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 1994 10:16:52 PDT

Caryn,
If you just put your print documentation online, I'd not call it help,
but rather online docs. OTOH, if you developed your Help first--nicely
chunked, task-oriented information--and then moved that to a print format
with corresponding introductory and reference material, then I'd say you
had good Help.

But Help isn't simply the docs put online.

And yes, I'd say you're stereotyping regarding gender actions. First,
the "expereince" you mention can be selectively filtered in your mind
to support your argument. Second, your experience alone shouldn't serve
to label classes of people. There's enough of that already being done
today by neo-Nazis, right-wing fundamentalist "christians," and others.

Chuck Martin
Information Developer, IBM
techwriter -at- vnet -dot- ibm -dot- com
IDIC: Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations