Re: Translating American to English

Subject: Re: Translating American to English
From: Chuck Banks <chuck -at- ASL -dot- DL -dot- NEC -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 1994 09:50:06 CST

For John Endicott, et al:

The action we take depends upon the type of customer who
receives our documents.

For our direct customers in Commonwealth countries, we
internally translate our U.S. English base documents to
British English. We have a team of British English writers in
our Pacific Basin divisions who do the translations.

For our OEM customers, it depends upon the contract. Some
do their own U.S.-to-British translations, some rely upon us
to do it. Some Commonwealth customers accept American English
documents with no translation.

Most differences between British and U.S. English
are in vocabulary, semantics, and spelling. We try to keep
our documents free of idiomatic expressions. Computer jargon is
treated the same. British jargon is substitued for U.S. jargon.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards!

Chuck Banks
--
|\\ | || // Chuck Banks
| \\ | ||_______ || Senior Technical Writer
| \\ | || || NEC America, Inc.
| \\| \\______ \\______ E-Mail: chuck -at- asl -dot- dl -dot- nec -dot- com
America, Incorporated CompuServe: 72520,411