Re: Going to Minneapolis?

Subject: Re: Going to Minneapolis?
From: Matt Abe <MATTA%county -dot- lmt -dot- mn -dot- org -at- HARVUNXW -dot- BITNET>
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 1994 16:09:05 CST

LaVonna Funkhouser <lffunkhouser -at- halnet -dot- com> writes:

> I would like to start a dialogue with others who are
> planning to attend the 41st Annual Conference of the
> Society for Technical Communication in Minneapolis this
> May.

> Questions that I have right now are these:

> 1. In which of the downtown hotels are you going to
> stay? (I'm trying to decide, and I've not seen any
> of them.)

I am a longtime resident of the Twin Cities, member of the Twin
Cities Chapter of the STC, and on the Conference newsletter
committee. I have a few comments on the conference hotels:

The Hilton, Park Inn International, Hyatt, and Hotel Luxeford Suites
are the closest hotels to the Minneapolis Convention Center. They are
located near the south end of the Nicollet Mall, within easy walking
distance of Orchestra Hall and many interesting little bars and
restaurants, including Brit's Pub (owned by a former Brit, complete
with a large portrait of the Queen Mum above the fireplace) and The
Times Bar (a cozy bar with live jazz many nights).

The Marriott City Center is a seven-block hike from the Convention
Center, but it is in the HEART of the shopping and entertainment area
of downtown Minneapolis, including the upper Nicollet Mall, Hennepin
Avenue, and the Warehouse District.

The Metrodome (home of the Minnesota Twins) is a short cab ride from
any of the hotels (or a long walk from the Marriott). In case you're
wondering, Mall of America is out in the hinterlands of Bloomington,
where I grew up, about 30 minutes from downtown.

By the way, the map on the inside back cover of the Advance Program
is as good as any I've seen. It should be helpful to all conference
goers.

> 2. Would folks from this list like to try to meet?
> Perhaps we can attend a session together or meet at a
> networking lunch table. One session we might try to
> get together at is "Exploring with the Internet Gopher"
> with Mark McCahill on Wed. at 8:30. (I probably will not
> get to attend Eric's session because of a conflict with
> a session on chapter presidency.)

Sounds good to me! I would like to meet and thank Eric for running
the listserver that makes it possible for us to communicate!

See you in Minneapolis!

Matthew Abe Internet: matta -at- county -dot- lmt -dot- mn -dot- org
Documentation Group Leader
LaserMaster Corporation
7156 Shady Oak Road
Eden Prairie, MN 55344