Form letter to encourage conf. attendence

Subject: Form letter to encourage conf. attendence
From: LaVonna Funkhouser <lffunkhouser -at- HALNET -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 1994 17:27:28 -0600

The form letter below is taken from one that is often
reproduced in STC publications. Its purpose is to
persuade your manager to let you attend the conference
(after some personal modifications).

You do not have to be a member of STC to attend the
Annual Conference. More information may be obtained by
writing to the STC office's e-mail address: stc -at- tmn -dot- com

LaVonna lffunkhouser -at- halnet -dot- com
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

MEMORANDUM
DATE:
TO:
FROM:
SUBJECT: STC 41st Annual Conference and Exposition,
Minneapolis Convention Center, Minneapolis,
Minnesota, May 15-18, 1994

I would like to attend the Society for Technical
Communication's (STC) 41st Annual Conference to be held in
Minneapolis Minnesota, May 15-18, 1994. In all, the
conference will provide more than 220 presentations,
workshops, panels, and discussion sessions on a wide variety of
subjects categorized into six stems.

Writing and Editing
Visual Communication
Management
Research and Technology
Education, Training, and Professional Development
Chapter Development

I also would like to attend the one-day Preconference
Workshops on May 14, 1994. My attendance at the STC 41st
Annual Conference, Pre-conference Workshops, and Exposition
will benefit both myself and (company) by increasing my
knowledge of

Writing and editing skills
Documentation management techniques
Electronic publishing advances
(other)

In addition to these benefits, a major portion of learning at an
STC Annual Conference takes place from meeting and
networking with technical communicators from throughout the
world. More than 2,000 attendees are expected for this
conference. There also will be exhibits from major companies
throughout the country.

The knowledge obtained will enable me to handle all aspects of
producing and managing documents with more professionalism
and confidence, and this will reflect favorably on (company).
Much of the information will be passed on to my co-workers.
My copy of the conference Proceedings and my notes will be
available in my office for all to use and reference.

(If you are presenting a paper at the conference, list that info
here. If you are an officer or manager of a local chapter, list
that info here.) With more than 18,000 members, STC is the
world's largest professional nonprofit organization dedicated to
the advancement of the theory and practice of technical
communication in all media.

STC's (chapter name) serves the (name of area and size of
chapter). The cost of attending the STC 41st Annual
Conference and Pre-conference workshops is detailed below.
(Here, list in a table the transportation costs, registration fee,
cost of meals, and the price per night of the hotel rooms. Ask
for all or part of the entire cost. You may desire to use your
vacation or you may want to ask for time with pay.)