STC vs. NWU; differences?

Subject: STC vs. NWU; differences?
From: Andreas Ramos <andreas -at- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 1994 22:11:03 -0800

And now for something completely different...:

Questions and discussions about etymology are fun, but I have a serious
question that affects our professional work. For professional
techwriters, there are two organizations: the STC (Society for Technical
Communications) and the NWU (the National Writers Union).
I find that many members of one don't know about the other. Perhaps we
could discuss the similarities and differences; perhaps it may help some
writers in deciding which organization they should choose.
So here are several questions:
If you are a member of both (or have experience with both), what
differences do you see?

Which one is more helpful in finding contracts, jobs, etc.?

Which one will help you with problems (a company won't pay a bill, or
there's a disagreement about services)?

Which one has a strong presence in which geographic areas (e.g. NYC,
Silicon Valley, etc.)

Some of you may have other questions or criteria; please add them.

yrs,
andreas
Andreas Ramos, M.A. Heidelberg Sacramento, California