Newsgroup good news (LONG)

Subject: Newsgroup good news (LONG)
From: Patrick O'Connell <patricko -at- EICON -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 1994 22:57:00 -0500

Looks like there will soone be a Usenet newsgroup specifically for WinHelp
authors. What's below is taken from comp.os.ms-windows.announce, and is
generally
interesting, but of particular interest to WinHelp authors are the two lines
prefixed
by >>>.

Enjoy,
PatO'
Patrick O'Connell |Brilliant-
Intermediate Writer, Eicon Technology Corporation |ly ornamen-
2196 32nd Ave. Lachine, Quebec, Canada, H8T 3H7 |tal sig
Internet: patricko -at- eicon -dot- com |UNDER
Tel: (B) 514-631-9825 x250 (H) 514-482-9279 |CONSTRUC-
Fax: (B) 514-631-3092 |TION...
From: tomh -at- metrics -dot- com (Tom Haapanen)
Subject: 2nd RFD: comp.os.ms-windows new groups
Sender: sgraham -at- shiloh -dot- nimh -dot- nih -dot- gov
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 1994 07:13:47 GMT

This is the second, revised, official Request for Discussion (RFD) for
the creation of a number of new newsgroups for Microsoft Windows. This
RFD supersedes the original posting of 07 February 1994.

The new groups are here split into two categories: general Windows groups,
(.networking.* and .video) and the .programmer group reorganization. The
set of programmer groups has been extensively revised since the initial
RFD to better reflect the usage and needs of the news readers.

The set of groups is still subject to change prior to the CFV, based on the
feedback and (constructive) discussions arising from this RFD. It is
generally agreed that there *is* a need for new Windows newsgroups; the
questions to be resolved are "what topics?" and "how many groups?". Posted
and mailed suggestions for further revisions prior to voting are welcome.

The proposed new groups are described below:

NEW WINDOWS GROUPS (all unmoderated)
------------------------------------
NAME: comp.os.ms-windows.networking.tcp-ip
PURPOSE: Discussions about using Windows with TCP/IP networks. This
includes discussions about TCP/IP implementations, NFS,
WinSock,
TCP/IP utilities, and connectivity and internetworking issues.

NAME: comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows
PURPOSE: Discussions about using Windows networks (Windows for
Workgroups,
NT Advanced Server and LAN Manager), including protocol stacks,
mail issues, interoperability and third-party add-ons.

NAME: comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc
PURPOSE: Discussions about using Windows with networks other than TCP-IP
and Windows networks (WFWG, NTAS, LANMan). Topics may include
compatability issues, security, interoperability and
performance.

NAME: comp.os.ms-windows.video
PURPOSE: Discussions about display adapters, monitors, video drivers,
compatability and performance issues under Windows.

NEW WINDOWS PROGRAMMER GROUPS (all unmoderated)
NAME: comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.controls
PURPOSE: Discussions about standard and custom controls, dialogs and
VBXs

NAME: comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.drivers
PURPOSE: Discussions about display and print drivers (Win16/Win32) and
VxDs

NAME: comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.gdi
PURPOSE: Discussions about GDI programming: graphics, fonts, metafiles,
brushes, BitBlts, printing, etc.

NAME: comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.gdi.bitmaps
PURPOSE: Discussions about bitmaps, DIBs and palette management

NAME: comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.memory
PURPOSE: Discussions about memory management, DLLs and shared memory

NAME: comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.multimedia
PURPOSE: Discussions about motion, sound and CD-ROM programming

NAME: comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.networks
PURPOSE: Discussions about network programming, RPC, WinSock and WFWG

NAME: comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.ole
PURPOSE: Discussions about OLE/OLE2 programming, Windows Objects and DDE

>>> NAME: comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.winhelp
>>> PURPOSE: Discussions about windows help file creation, techniques and
tools

RENAMED WINDOWS PROGRAMMER GROUP
--------------------------------
NAME: comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.base (was .misc)
PURPOSE: Windows base API development discussions (windows, messages
etc)

RATIONALE -- GENERAL:
---------------------
Microsoft Windows continues its growth as the most popular PC-based
operating environment in the world, with somewhere over 40 million
copies shipped. As a result, the traffic in the Windows newsgroups has
continued to grow at an unabated pace.

The latest readership statistics show an average of about 80 messages
per day in the .apps and .programmer.misc groups, and heavy traffic in
.misc as well. The excerpt shown below:

+-- Estimated total number of people who read the group, worldwide.
| +-- Actual number of readers in sampled population
| | +-- Recent traffic (messages per month)
| | | +-- Recent traffic (kilobytes per month)
V V V V
92000 1121 2436 3748.0 comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.misc
100000 1238 2223 3145.2 comp.os.ms-windows.apps
71000 869 1614 3979.8 comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
98000 1200 1365 1971.7 comp.os.ms-windows.misc
61000 743 967 1383.8 comp.os.ms-windows.nt.misc
82000 1003 830 1198.1 comp.os.ms-windows.setup
80000 977 598 839.2 comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.tools
68000 832 416 587.9 comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32
48000 588 415 620.3 comp.os.ms-windows.nt.setup
95000 1163 45 208.5 comp.os.ms-windows.announce

Before the accusations of newsgroup egotism start flying again, I
would like to point out the following recent (or ongoing) or-
organization proposals:
comp.os.geos 5 groups 550 messages/month
comp.os.os2.programmer 4 groups* 1050 messages/month
comp.sys.next.hardware 2 groups 700 messages/month
rec.railroad 3 groups 1800 messages/month
(*includes 2 existing groups) The passage of all the proposed
Windows programmer groups would result in 3500 messages split among
12 groups, for an average group size of about 300/month -- each
subgroup would still be as busy or busier than any of the proposals
above, with the except of rec.railroad.*.

RATIONALE -- MS-WINDOWS.*:
-------------------------
Some of the heaviest topics of discussion in the non-programmer
groups are networking and video drivers. A subject line analysis
found the following article counts in the main groups in the past
45 days:

Newsgroup Video TCP/IP WinNet MiscNet
.apps 69 237 145 7
.misc 124 73 121 60
.setup 150 41 177 21
Total 343 351 443 88

The only group without heavy existing traffic is .networking.misc,
but it should, in my opinion, be created for symmetry and to give
a place for Netware, Vines, LANtastic etc. discussions.

The addition of the .networking.* groups will provide reasonably
low-traffic forums for networking issues, and the .video group
will hopefully move those discussions from .apps, .misc and .setup
into a single focused group.

RATIONALE -- MS-WINDOWS.PROGRAMMER.*:
-------------------------------------
All of the Windows programmer groups are unmoderated. The set of new
newsgroups below (all prefixed by comp.os.ms-windows.programmer) is a
result of extensive discussions resulting from the initial RFD, both in
news and by email. Based on these discussions, the subgroups have been
organized by tasks (eg bitmap manipulation, custom controls, memory
management) instead of tools (C, MFC, OWL, TPW, VB), since the
techniques
are generally the same regardless of which tool is being used. It is
important to direct the collective knowledge of the net to groups
which focus on general, task-oriented, problems & solutions.

Based on the feedback and on discussion in news and by email, the
currently proposed new programmer groups are the following:

.controls Standard and custom controls, dialogs and VBXs
.drivers Display and print drivers (Win16/Win32) and VxDs
.gdi GDI Programming: graphics, fonts, metafiles, printing
.gdi.bitmaps Bitmaps, DIBs and palette management
.memory Memory management, DLLs and shared memory
.multimedia Motion, sound and CD-ROM programming
.networks Network programming, WinSock, WFWG and Netware API
.ole OLE/OLE2 programming, Windows Objects and DDE
.winhelp Windows help file creation, techniques and tools

These encompass all but the very basics of Windows programming,
and to cover that area, it is proposed that the existing.
comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.misc be renamed comp.os.ms-windows.-
programmer.base to indicate that it is for discussions about the
base Windows API functionality, such as windows, messages and menus.
discussions. It will also reduce the likelyhood of new users
posting to .misc if they're not sure where to post -- instead they
will need to read the group descriptions or scan the postings in
order to determine the appropriate group to post to.

REJECTED GROUP SUGGESTIONS:
---------------------------
Some of the groups considered for the second RFD, but at least initially
rejected were:

.programmer.frameworks,.programmer.frameworks.{mfc,owl}
.programmer.classlibs,.programmer.platforms
These groups, initially proposed, were generally rejected as it
would drain task-specific discussion from other, task-based groups.
As noted earlier, bitmap techniques, for example, are the same
whether using C or MFC. Framework-specific discussions are, and
will be, appropriate in .programmer.tools. I do recommend, however,
that .frameworks.{mfc,owl} be reconsidered in the future once the
posting patterns have stabilized in the task-oriented groups.

.programmer.{win16,win32}.{base,gdi,user,ddk}
These groups were generally seen as an undesirable solution, as most
programming techniques are similar in Win16 and Win32, and this
would serve to dilute the knowledgeable users between the Win16 and
Win32 groups. Further, users would likely have some difficulty
determining whether a question belongs to "user" or "base". The
current .win32 group will remain for dicussing Win32-specific
issues.

.programmer.processes
Originally targeted towards memory, task, instance discussions,
it was felt that it would have insufficient traffic, given the
.memory group, and that Windows 3.1 does not support threads.

.programmer.clipboard
.programmer.custom_controls
.programmer.dde
.programmer.messages
.programmer.printing
.programmer.standard_controls
Covered in other proposed groups
--
[ /tom haapanen -- tomh -at- metrics -dot- com -- software metrics inc -- waterloo, ont

[ "it's not how fast you go ... but how well you go fast" -- vw ad