Planning before writing on-line help

Subject: Planning before writing on-line help
From: LaVonna Funkhouser <lffunkhouser -at- HALNET -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 1994 17:36:05 -0600

Unless things change *again*, I will be starting a new
project next week involving 1) creating the on-line help
for some in-house software and 2) writing the hardcopy
manual.

I've seen some discussion about on-line doc packages and
how on-line docs are made, but I was wondering what planning
process you go through before you begin to write on-line
help. (I will be writing in RoboHelp and then transferring
the file into HyperHelp. Don't ask why; this was already
decided.)

Thanks in advance. Please respond to the list if it could
possibly help someone else.

BTW, when a coworker was showing me the basics of RoboHelp
the other day, he constantly said "contact sensitive"
for "context sensitive." How's that for a laugh-aloud
homophone!!

LaVonna Funkhouser
tech writer, Halliburton Technology Center
Duncan, OK, USA
lffunkhouser -at- halnet -dot- com