TechWriting w/o Journalism

Subject: TechWriting w/o Journalism
From: Mark Kitzmiller <Mark_Kitzmiller -at- ATK -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 1994 12:32:32 -0600

TechWriting w/o Journalism
My path to tech writing was different than those mentioned in previous
messages and may be of interest to some. With only a BS in Physics I couldn't
really do physics; you need an MS or PhD. I couldn't afford grad school so I
used my knack for clear concise writing and my technical background to land a
job as a technical writer. I find my technical background to be very
important in gaining respect from the design engineers with whom I work. My
technical background also saved me time in researching the technical topics;
time which I then spent on learning proper writing techniques, grammar, word
choice, document layout techniques, etc. since I had no formal training in
those areas other than freshman college composition courses. (As defense
spending decreases and layoffs at my company increase, I will soon have to
once again defend my nonjournalistic background to prospective employers,
this time with the help of years of technical writing experience.)
Mark Kitzmiller, Sr. Tech Writer, Alliant Techsystems Inc., Annapolis, MD