Re: File Management

Subject: Re: File Management
From: Mark Kitzmiller <Mark_Kitzmiller -at- ATK -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 1994 12:54:55 -0600

RE>File Management
We use a simple yet effective system. We place a code number inside the image
area of every graphic we create. The code number consists of the creator's
initials, the day of the year, the year, and a sequential number indicating
the order in which the graphic was created during that day. Here's an example
MAK0619403. Then we enter each number into a MicroSoft Word table along with
other information including the name of the disk on which the file is stored,
the name of the enclosing folder, the file name, and the client's name. We
keep active files on our internal hard disks and inactive files on floppies
and Syquest cartridges. If we move the files, we just update the location
fields in the Word table. When we get a marked-up drawing to update, we just
open the Word table (which we keep as an alias on the desktop) and use Word's
Find command to find the number that appears on the drawing then read the
associated disk location from the table.