Reference/Style manual

Subject: Reference/Style manual
From: FOLTZ_J -at- DT3 -dot- DT -dot- UH -dot- EDU
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 1994 11:37:40 -0600

I would like the Net's opinions on the Do-All-And-End-All style guide and/or
reference manual for writers.

I was embarrassed yesterday when a friend had a question I couldn't answer. His
child needed to know the proper way to do an annotated bibliography. Rather
than ask his teacher, he figured that his all-knowing father would have the
answer.

"Jan writes", my friend thought. " She goes to school. She will know how to do
this." One phone call and his problems would be solved. Nope. Not *one*
book I had provided the answer. I couldn't believe it.

I went to my friendly book store and looked in the reference section. There is
a dazzling array of writing books, all claiming to be the ultimate reference
manual. I know we should shun being restricted to such manuals, but sometimes
you just need one. Help!

Janet
Foltz_J -at- dt -dot- uh -dot- edu