Re: Want Ads

Subject: Re: Want Ads
From: Len Olszewski <saslpo -at- UNX -dot- SAS -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 1994 12:37:48 -0500

Steve Fouts sees a red flag:

> The oops was when I hit, "typing, 60 wpm desired." This, to me, says in
> big red letters, "WARNING! This company has absolutely no respect for the
> profession of technical writing!" And I resumed scanning. Am I offbase?

If you met the other qualifications, and could type 60 WPM (probably
with no problem), and they >>paid well<<, you might consider shortening
your lead (to extend the baseball metaphor). I'd give 'em 10,000
keystrokes per minute for the right price, all other things being equal.

> Do you out there have any other huge red flags that you see in want ads.

Stay away from blind ads; they can be headhunters just angling for your
name. Course, I never look at the want ads, *ahem*.

|Len Olszewski, Technical Writer |"That's a, I say, that's a JOKE, |
|saslpo -at- unx -dot- sas -dot- com|Cary, NC, USA| son." - Foghorn Leghorn |
| Opinions this ludicrous are mine. Reasonable opinions will cost you.|