Professionalism--was Contract vs. Full time

Subject: Professionalism--was Contract vs. Full time
From: ejray -at- OKWAY -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 1994 08:30:16 CST

Maria said, among other things,

>The point of this little horror story is that the advantages go both ways.
>The company gains in not having to pay benefits or severance pay. However,
>I invested a great deal of time in training. She gained the advantage of
>flexible working hours that a permanent employee would never get. True, she
>didn't get severance pay when she left, but I didn't get 2 weeks notice
>either.

>Personally, I would shy away from hiring another contract writer.
>I guess I don't see the motivation a tech writer really
>has to learn a company's product, specifically a product
>as complex as ours. I have to believe this was just a bad experience because
>I am sure that I would work diligently to complete a contract.

I am not currently a contract writer, but have do have
some experience with it in the past few years. I would
say that having a CONTRACT, as someone else (name
unfortunately deleted) suggested would help your
situation greatly. Additionally, I think that what you
are actually looking for is *professionalism*, which
really has nothing to do with being either a contract
writer or an exempt employee.

Professionals do not behave as your writer did.
However, I am sure we all know professional (read
exempt) technical writers who do exactly what they have
to do as quickly as they can without regard to quality;
similarly most of us know contract writers with
impeccable degrees of professionalism.

I would be interested in hearing how any of you
evaluate "professionalism" in interview or other hiring
situations to ensure you get what you pay for.

Eric
ejray -at- okway -dot- okstate -dot- edu