Re: PhD Programs

Subject: Re: PhD Programs
From: Paul Trummel <trummel -at- U -dot- WASHINGTON -dot- EDU>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 1994 18:00:54 -0800

On Sun, 20 Feb 1994, Deb Carnegie wrote:

> I'm interested in finding out which schools have PhD programs in technical
> communications/communications. The one program I'm most familiar with is
> the PhD Rhetoric w/emphasis on document design at Carnegie Mellon, but I was
> wondering if anyone can recommend other programs.

> thanks very much-

> Debra Carnegie
> deb -at- symbologic -dot- com

Avoid RPI like you would a plague.

All potential graduate students should Subscribe to CONTRA CABAL:
concabal -at- u -dot- washington -dot- edu

Excerpts from the Current Edition.

CONTRA CABAL has published 21 editions and has a regular
international readership of many thousands. Through regularly reading
posted material they have become familiar with the pernicious practices
that exist in the Graduate School, and the Department of Languishment,
Licentiousness, and Corruption (LL&C), School of Inhumanity and
Social Scourges (SI&SS), at Rensaler Politicking Institution
(RPI). Recently, a reader posed the question:

"So what is going on at Rensaler??"

Apparently, the only recent changes at Rensaler relate
to the appointment of a new president. A Cabal thrives and the
dehumanization of, and the discrimination against, specific
student constituencies persists. Malfeasance flourishes. The
graduate and humanities deans continue to receive the same
presidential blessing upon their nefarious conduct that they
received in the past. The administration continues its cover-up
of criminal activity. Business continues as usual at Rensaler
Politicking Institution.
A reader recently requested more information about the
"elements" in RPI's program that do not relate to technical
communication. A short answer: the RPI curriculum relates to the
history of classical rhetoric and very little contained in the
courses relates to the technical and graphic components of
technical communication. Like a number of other universities,
LL&C disguises an English and rhetoric program to attract
technical students. Most LLC/RPI faculty members have no
professional or academic qualifications and no experience in the
field. Neither has the program any official accreditation.
Approximately 50 programs exist in the United States
that advertise technical communication content. About 80% of
these programs do not provide anything like a well-rounded
education in the field. Most do not employ professionals on their
faculties (an essential to teaching any craft) and rely on
outmoded theories that relate to either individual experience or
departmental politics. These programs rely for their economic
survival upon offering an education that they cannot provide.
This constitutes fraud.
The editor of CONTRA CABAL, formerly an associate
professor, a lecturer and PhD student in LLC, reveals his nine
years experience of this criminal and asinine department of
egocentric despots. In the current edition, in the pursuit of integrity,
he declares his personal interest and describes his role:
By reading CONTRA CABAL readers come to realize the
lack of program accreditation and student abuse that exists at
RPI. If they willingly accept intimidation, deprivation of
rights and privileges, acquiesce to illegal activity and
humiliation, have sycophantic tendencies, then they should not
read CONTRA CABAL. They can then discover the truth through their own
negative and expensive experience.