More on LIST options change

Subject: More on LIST options change
From: Kelly Hoffman <kelly -at- NASHUA -dot- HP -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 1994 12:56:16 EST

Vicki Rosenzweig <murphy!acmcr!vr -at- UUNET -dot- UU -dot- NET> writes:

> Technical question: Would it be possible to set things up so
> that the From field said "TECHWR-L" and the Reply-to had the
> individual poster's name, so we could immediately identify
> list messages but replies went to individuals unless otherwise
> specified?

Even if it's possible (and I doubt that it is), I strongly oppose this
idea. The From:, Sender:, and Reply-To: header lines have specific
meanings for Internet mail, as outlined in RFC822, which describes
SMTP -- the Simple Mail Transport Protocol.

With SMTP, the From: line is *always* supposed to indicate the
original person who sent the message. The change that Eric made
does not alter the From: or Sender: lines; it affects *only* the

The change that Vicki suggests would, in effect, cause all Techwr-L
mail to break the rules.

Several folks have commented that their mail software (apparently)
isn't smart enough to deal with From:, Sender:, and Reply-To: lines.
This is an inconvenience, of course, but please don't "fix" the
problem by penalizing those of us who have SMTP-compliant software.

kkh
Kelly K. Hoffman kelly -at- nashua -dot- hp -dot- com
Learning Products Engineer
Hewlett-Packard, Network Test Division "Reading the manual is
One Tara Blvd., Nashua, NH USA 03062 admitting defeat."