Re: luminous vs. light as adjectives

Subject: Re: luminous vs. light as adjectives
From: Stan Andermann <ANDERMANN -at- SCSUD -dot- CTSTATEU -dot- EDU>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 1994 17:42:26 -0500

Using the Petit Robert I--a much better authority than
LaRousse or any other French-English dictionary--which
is totally in French, I find some interesting words
which might help this problem.

First, consider the related words
luminescent-adj. O:u (<--ignore this error)
Ou" se produit le phenomene de la
luminescence V. Fluorescent, phosphorescent
"Tues (<--another mistake) "Tubes luminescents
servant a l'eclairage.

lumineuse, lumineux -adj.
1. qui emit ou reflechit la lumiere.
2. de la nature de la lumiere
3. qui a beaucoup de clarte, de
lucidite.

These are adjectives. To add to the confusion,
consider the nouns
:. luminaire
2. luminance
3. luminescence
and others.

If you don't have a French only dictionary, it's
essential. The Petit Robert I is the best. (The
Petit Robert II is a single volume encyclopedia and
also worth it.) PRI is a small font, double column
2171 book. It will answer every question you need,
and probably more.

The _real_ problem is that French as a language
doesn't handle some aspects of cummunication (<--
whoops, that's a error, Dr. Freud!) communication
such as science and positions.

Good luck! Bonne chance!