Grad School in Tech Writing

Subject: Grad School in Tech Writing
From: Alexander Friedlander <friedlac -at- DUNX1 -dot- OCS -dot- DREXEL -dot- EDU>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 1994 10:57:55 -0500

>Hello. I am a senior English and computer science major who will be
>graduating this May. I am planning on attending graduate school next fall
>and . . . am particularly interested in . . . what you recommend I look for
> in a graduate program.

>Michelle Adams
>Abilene Christian University
>Abilene, TX
>LMA36959 -at- ACUVAX -dot- ACU -dot- EDU

Michelle,

Here are some thoughts to consider.

1. Unless you are planning to go on for a Ph. D., look for a professional
rather than an academic degree. Such a degree will give you the opportunity
to learn the framework of technical communication and will allow you to
apply such knowledge in skills-oriented courses.

2. A program should be cognizant of the variety of skills that a technical
communicator should have. So, in addition to various writing-based and
theoretical courses, a good program should also stress the visual aspects
of technical communication and have courses based on new technologies. So
look for courses like desktop publishing, graphics, visual communication,
video production, document design, and, in the near future, multimedia.

3. A program should give you the opportunity to apply what you have
learned through practical experience,. So, make sure that the program
requires an internship.

4. See what elective courses are available in other graduate programs at
that university. At Drexel, for instance, a number of our students take
courses in programs such as Publication Management, Information Systems,
and Business, in addition to the various elective courses we offer. Also,
if you have a particular personal interest, look at other specialized
course options within a particular program. For instance, a number of our
students are particularly interested in medical or pharmaceutical
industries.

I hope this information helps. If you send me your mailing address, I will
be happy to send you more detailed information about Drexel's M.S. in
Technical and Science Communication.

Good luck.

Alexander Friedlander

Director, Programs in Technical and Science Communication
Department of Humanities and Communications
Drexel University
Philadelphia, PA 19104

phone: (215) 895-1819 fax: (215) 895-4999

e-mail: friedlac -at- dunx1 -dot- ocs -dot- drexel -dot- edu OR friedlac -at- duvm -dot- bitnet