Judging Books by Subject Matter

Subject: Judging Books by Subject Matter
From: Ellen Fenwick <efenwick -at- INFO-ENT -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 1994 16:45:16 MST

I've managed the publications and art competitions for the Phoenix Chapter for
two years now, and have reflected much on the entries I've seen. I'd like to
add to Susan Fowler's comment about the (perhaps) over-emphasis in judging on
layout, style, and graphics. I believe we will see more and more similarity in
manuals in these areas. One, because writers are becoming more cognizant of
what is effective and are emulating what they see elsewhere in their own work.
Two, because there are more and more published books that teach about these
physical aspects. And three, word processing and desktop publishing packages
have style sheets that incorporate good design principles, so it's possible to
do an excellent job on layout, style, and graphics simply by using a
predesigned template. What I'm getting at is that layout, style, and graphics
are becoming less and less the measures of a writer's skill. The focus for
judging distinction in publications HAS to be elsewhere.