Re: Passive voice

Subject: Re: Passive voice
From: Vicki Rosenzweig <murphy!acmcr!vr -at- UUNET -dot- UU -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 1994 13:23:40 EST

Writing English to make life easier for translators strikes me as,
to some extent, missing the point. Good, clear prose should in general
be easier, but I would not, for example, expect a writer in German or
Japanese to choose constructs that are easier to translate into
English if it was at the expense of the original text. I also have
doubts about the assertion that material in the passive voice is
easier to translate into Romance languages: it certainly doesn't
match my knowledge of Spanish (in which I am not fluent, but I do
have a reading knowledge and can hold a conversation in it if the
person I'm speaking to speaks slowly).

Vicki Rosenzweig
vr%acmcr -dot- uucp -at- murphy -dot- com
New York, NY