Re: use of the word "invokes"

Subject: Re: use of the word "invokes"
From: Vicki Rosenzweig <murphy!acmcr!vr -at- UUNET -dot- UU -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 1994 15:16:50 EST

The originator of that quote was Arthur C. Clarke (inventor of the
communication satellite, and author of a fair amount of good fiction).
His phrasing was "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable
from magic." I needed a citation for this a few years back, and
eventually tracked it to _Profiles of the Future_. The edition
I found was from 1984 (Holt, Rinehart, and Winston, New York).
My notes that remain say that he first published this comment
in 1962 (it might have been earlier) and that it's on page 36
of the 1984 book. Use it well.

Vicki Rosenzweig
vr%acmcr -dot- uucp -at- murphy -dot- com
New York, NY