Re: Another think coming

Subject: Re: Another think coming
From: Rowena Campbell <campbell -at- ANGIS -dot- SU -dot- OZ -dot- AU>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 1994 14:22:47 +1100

Ken d'Albenas wrote:

>The "think" form was news to me, but he had obviously done a good deal of
>research, and his conclusion was this: both forms are extremely common, yet
>all the "thing" people are unaware of the "think" form, and vice versa.

No! No! No!

I suspect you may be right that "all the "thing" people are unaware of the
"think" form" but certainly NOT vice versa!! I learnt in about 2nd grade at
school (age 7) [or maybe it was 2nd form? (age 14). Anyway, it was a long
time ago!] that the correct form of the expression 'Another thing coming' was
'Another THINK coming.' It surprised me at the time because everybody SAID
'Another thing coming.' Well, everybody was wrong, and it really IS 'another
think coming'. It's just that people have got it confused in common usage. A
good example of change through ignorance. I think you'll find that those who
use 'another thing coming' haven't heard of 'think' but those who use 'another
think coming' are well aware of the common misusage of the phrase.

Surely a phrase like this must have been borrowed from some original
quotation? Someone said "If you think bla bla, then you've another think
coming!" ? Has anyone uncovered such a thing? Just tuned into this
discussion, sorry if I missed the relevant bit.

Rowena Campbell Never mind ladies,
campbell -at- angis,su.oz.au for every D.H. Lawrence
there's a Thomas Hardy,
for every Charles Dickens
there's a George Elliot.