Re: use of the word "invokes"

Subject: Re: use of the word "invokes"
From: Susan_Gallagher_at_Enfin-SD -at- PROTEON -dot- COM
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 1994 12:36:00 EST

Mike Priestley writes:
>Now _there's_ a word with magical connotations! I use it myself, though,
>and don't think twice about it.

>I think the reason is that a lot of the stuff that happens in a computer is
>"magical", in the sense that there are objects and processes interacting
>in ways that, if they were in our physical world, they would be
>considered magic (eg objects appearing or disappearing, simple commands
>that initiate a complex and continuing reaction, etc).

***But***, Mike --
If you've ever been faced with a classroom full of
**novice** computer users who actually **believe** that...

1) it **is** a magic box

2) nothing they do can control the outcome because the box
has a mind of its own

you'd avoid the word "invoke" like the plague. If you think
not, you've got another thin*g* coming!! %^)

Sue Gallagher |
Sr. Technical Writer | "Updating a manual
Easel Corporation | is like changing tires
Enfin Technology Lab | on a moving car."
San Diego, CA | -- Edmond Weiss
Susan_Gallagher_at_Enfin-SD -at- relay -dot- proteon -dot- com |