Re: another think ..uh... thing coming

Subject: Re: another think ..uh... thing coming
From: Doug Montalbano <D=Montalbano%GMP%Chiron -at- LARRY -dot- CHIRON -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 1994 15:55:12 PST

I'm with the "think"ers on this, rather than the "thing"ers.

Although "think" is not normally a noun and "thing" is, this fact seems
irrelevant to the context of the saying.

As I have always heard the expression, "you've got another thin(k)(g) coming"
is prefaced by "And if you think [whatever], ..."
The repetition of "think" in its original form (not changed to "thought")
is a common way of pointing out someone ELSE's error to them -- I imagine
that repeating the word in an unchanged form serves to accentuate the
error ....

Boy, isn't fruitless speculation fun on Friday afternoon?

Doug Montalbano | Natives of poverty, children of malheur,
Technical Writer | The gaiety of language is our seigneur.
Chiron Corporation | --Wallace Stevens
Emeryville, CA 94608 |
510/601-2862 (voice/tty) | [boilerplate disclaimer here]