Re: Trademark

Subject: Re: Trademark
From: Kris Jaeger <krisj -at- MEI -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 1994 11:37:46 -0600

Kay Schimmelman writes regarding a generic trademark notice:

>This is not adequate. If you use a product or service name in your documents,
>you must find out the proper statement that the company who owns
>that product or service name wants used. In particular, you must state
>the product or service name correctly, including capitalization, and you
>must state the company name correctly. Even more importantly, you must know
>whether the trademark is registered or not and state that. Some companies
>have one person whose job is devoted to making sure that everything that goes
>out is absolutely correct and that their company's products names are
>mentioned everywhere else correctly. I have worked for place where we have
>received notices asking for correction of minute details.

>If you have a corporate trademark attorney, I would pass that statement
>by him or her for approval.

We also use a generic trademark statement that *was* approved by our
corporate trademark attorney. Here's what we use:

"Trademarked names appear throughout this document. Rather than list the
names and entities that own the trademarks or insert a trademark symbol
with each mention of the trademarked name, the publisher states that it is
using the names only for editorial purposes and to the benefit of the
trademark owner with no intention of improperly using the trademark."

This statement is in place of citing each trademark of each company and the
company name. We've become (or are becoming) very trademark conscious here
and had the statement approved by our corporate trademark attorney.

Kris Jaeger Marquette Electronics, Inc.
krisj -at- mei -dot- com Diagnostic Technical Communication
8200 W. Tower Avenue
Milwaukee WI 53223 USA
Telephone: (414) 362-2605
Fax: (414) 357-5988