Re: Key-whacking

Subject: Re: Key-whacking
From: Jim Grey <jwg -at- ACD4 -dot- ACD -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 1994 09:31:15 -0500

As for the non-alphanumeric keys, we use the symbol for them in our docs.
This avoids the problem. When talking about symbol keys, the arrows are the
arrows, from longtime habit.

As for the "press", "hit", "tap" debate: We argued long and hard here about
whether we "press" or "type" a key. It got ugly; until the guy who insisted
we "type" left the company, some of us "press"ed, while others "type"d. Now
we all "press" and harmony again reigns in the Technical Writing Department.

The argument against "press" was: Does "press" include "and release"? My
response (retort, actually; remember, the discussion was heated) was that
*consistency* in the term's use would win out; if we use "press and hold"
to mean just that, and "press" to mean "press and release", after one or two
tries a complete computer boob would get it.

The argument against "type" was: What about "type RETURN", meaning the
RETURN key? How many users will try to type the word "RETURN"? The other
writer never thought of using a key-like symbol for the RETURN key (instead
of the bold italics we currently use) which, of course, would have blown
that argument out of the water.

Thinking back on it, I can't believe all the energy we wasted on the
press v. type debate.

jim grey
jwg -at- acd4 -dot- acd -dot- com
Terre Haute, IN -- The Silicon Cornfield