Re: Key-whacking

Subject: Re: Key-whacking
From: Fred M Jacobson <fred -at- BOOLE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 1994 11:49:30 PST

Mark writes:

> ** I never liked telling users to "press" a key, because sometimes holding
> it down too long can do bad things.

This is a fertile area for discourse. When I was a trainer (and
training developer), I had a colleague from Atlanta who told students
to "mash" (imagine the southern accent, if you can) Return to end a
line, but she did half as a joke. I think there have been articles
about how unkind it is to strike or depress a key ("key abuse"?).

I favor "press." It's so simple and direct. If you're worried about
readers holding down the key too long, define "press" and "press and
hold" in your preface (although we all know no one ever reads it).
If that's not enough, I guess "tap" is all right, although it _is_
rather informal. _I_ suggest "click!" We already use it for mouse
buttons; why not keys?

-Fred
--
INTERNET: fred -at- boole -dot- com PHONE: (408) 526-3292 FAX: (408) 526-3055
USPS: Fred Jacobson / Boole & Babbage / 3131 Zanker Road / San Jose CA 95134