Style Guides

Subject: Style Guides
From: Andrew Shires <andrews -at- HARLEQUIN -dot- CO -dot- UK>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 1994 16:26:04 GMT

With all the talk of Chicago and Strunk and White I thought I'd plug
this:

_Hart's Rules for Compositors and Editors the University
Press, Oxford_, (Oxford University Press)

Mine is the thirty-ninth edition, but I've heard that it is now in its
fortieth. It covers rules for setting English, Dutch, Afrikaans,
French, German, Greek, Latin, Italian, Russian, Spanish, Catalan,
Portuguese, Turkish, and Welsh, as well as "Oriental Languages in
Roman Type". There are sections on spelling, proof correction,
division of words, spacing, and, well, everything else.

It's less prosaic than Strunk and White and perhaps that's why it has
a more authoritative, archaic feel. It's a development of a document
written in 1893, but has had regular revisions.

It's essential if you are working with UK English, and for users of US
English it will complement Strunk and White and Chicago well. (There
are apparently copies of it in larger US bookshops, and I have no idea
about its availability in mainland Europe.)

Andrew Shires andrews -at- harlequin -dot- co -dot- uk
Technical Author andrews -at- harlequin -dot- com