Re: Emily Post-ing

Subject: Re: Emily Post-ing
From: Judith Wisdom <wisdom -at- UDCEMAIL -dot- UDC -dot- UPENN -dot- EDU>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 1994 03:02:43 EST

I think the mistakes, like "exercise" for "exorcise" are mostly the result
of the poor editing capabilities on E-mail, as well as poor-to-no spell
checking mechanisms. But as a result there has emerged a tolerance
towards spelling and punctuation errors of the sort that are not revealed
in spoken language. I must confess that while this bothered me at first,
and I still do try for standards of written correctness, I find some charm
in the errors, and experience them as a kind of informality that brings
this form of fast communication over vast spaces more like face to face
contact. I risk being interpreted as approving of lower standards, which
I am not, but feel that this tendency might just be viewed as different
standards not lowered ones. However, if the result is that we notice some
effect on non-E-mail written language emerging, then we're in trouble, and
I will have to hang my head in shame.

Judith Wisdom wisdom -at- udcemail -dot- udc -dot- upenn -dot- edu