Re: US English

Subject: Re: US English
From: LaVonna Funkhouser <lffunkhouser -at- HALNET -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 1994 13:33:14 -0600

Michael Spooner makes the point that the attitudes of
a minority to the dominant culture and its language may
be different than that of an immigrant.

I'm just beginning to study this subject, but my professor--
who grew up in a household of an oppressed and suppressed
US minority--makes a point about what circles you wish to
communicate in. If your goals involve extending your
communication beyond the persons who speak your language
or your dialect (yes, I'll admit that I can revert to my
region's dialect), then you need to learn the language and
dialect (if possible) of the society mainstream.

When you are within your more intimate circle or community,
you should feel free to communicate in your own way.

Comm. scholars or linguists probably can put more knowledge
behind such ideas than I can.

Back to tech. writing: Let's say that English and Spanish were
both made "accepted" or official languages in the US. Would
that mean that we would expect to publish our manuals in both
languages? ..even if distributed only in the US?

It makes you wonder.

Personally, I think the subject is too sticky to ever make it to law
on either side of the issue.

LaVonna lffunkhouser -at- halnet -dot- com