Re: Style Guides?

Subject: Re: Style Guides?
From: Matt Abe <MATTA -at- COUNTY -dot- LMT -dot- MN -dot- ORG>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 1994 08:05:50 CST

David Lowe writes:

> Hi all,
> I just got hired for my first job as a tech writer. My first
> projects are an on-line user manual and a policies and procedures
> manual. Does anyone recommend any books or style guides? I am
> going to an information mapping seminar a couple of weeks after
> I start the job.
> Thanks in advance!
> - David

The Chicago Manual of Style and Elements of Style are still my
favorite books on this subject. They helped me when I started in this
trade, and still do to this day. The section on indexing in CMS was
very helpful to me.

There are also usually some good examples of internal style manuals
at the STC Annual Conference. The winners of the annual Technical
Publications Competition are on display there each year. Last year I
think, there was a great one from Schlumberger -- nicely designed,
very classy, yet also very useful.

After seeing a few examples, you can have a good time designing your
own style guide (if you're into that sort of thing...). Good luck!

Matthew Abe Internet: matta -at- county -dot- lmt -dot- mn -dot- org
Documentation Group Leader
LaserMaster Corporation
7156 Shady Oak Road
Eden Prairie, MN 55344