Re: US English

Subject: Re: US English
From: LaVonna Funkhouser <lffunkhouser -at- HALNET -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 1994 15:32:58 -0600

Chuck,
Thanks for your opinion on US English. Please don't
imply that I am in favor of or a member of the movement.
Currently I am neutral. I brought up the subject for
scholarly debate on this list after the subject was
brought to my attention in an intercultural comm. class.

A thought from our debate:
English is a characteristic of the dominant culture of
our society. Therefore, part of becoming socialized into
the US dominant culture (implying, of course, that a person
*wants* to be socialized) is learning English.

As you mentioned, the scarey thing is *whose* English
would become law?

More debate, folks?

LaVonna
lffunkhouser -at- halnet -dot- com