Marketing/propaganda in documentation

Subject: Marketing/propaganda in documentation
From: Patrick O'Connell <patricko -at- EICON -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 1994 10:25:00 PST

The latest version of an operator's guide I'm working on with 3 other people
contains a chapter, close to the beginning, whose title is the company slogan
and is written as though the customer still had to be convinced to purchase
the product. It contains useful information, but the info:hype ratio is
distressingly low.

I have a BIG problem with this. I can see where this kind of tool is useful;
it's not that I object to its creation. I simply feel it has no place in user
documentation -- it should be in a marketing pamphlet or something. If the
customer has already purchased product X, I'm afraid s/he will react
negatively to finding anOTHER sales job awaiting him/her when they crack the
book.

Opinions? Send those messages! I am looking for VERY rapid feedback on this
question ***VIA E-MAIL s.v.p.*** since I am receiving techwr-l messages in
digested format, and that usually means waiting a day for posted
replies/feedback to my posts.

Thanks,
Pat O'Connell
Patrick O'Connell