online help (using duplicate contextual helps)

Subject: online help (using duplicate contextual helps)
From: mpriestley -at- VNET -dot- IBM -dot- COM
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 1994 10:32:13 EST

Bonni Graham advises:

>2b) Also if you're using item-level help, try to write only one topic for
>commonly used elements like OK buttons. NOTE: Since these topics will be
>linked to many screens, you won't be able to provide the backward reference
>mentioned in 2a.

Just wanted to note that this is a tool-specific limitation. I am
developing for OS/2 using IPF 2.0, and am able to provide backward links
from a generic contextual help (eg for an OK button) to help for the
window/dialog that the button appears in.

Example: user highlights OK button, selects Help for it. Generic help for
"OK" appears. User is still confused, presses the F2 key; help for the
whole dialog (non-generic help) appears.

Back to lurking...

Michael Priestley
mpriestley -at- vnet -dot- ibm -dot- com
Disclaimer: Unless I explicitly say I'm speaking on someone/something else's
behalf, I'm not. All guarantees void where prohibited by law. Contents under
pressure. Refrigerate after opening.