Re: Can't do without paper?

Subject: Re: Can't do without paper?
From: kendal stitzel <kensti -at- KENSTI -dot- AUTO-TROL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 1994 08:42:15 MST

> Lo and behold as the deadline approached, the manager decided that paper
> documentation looked pretty good after all. My department had to drop
> everything to ride to the rescue.

> ** Over here we had the same experience for a different reason. Our managers
> returned from a visit to the USA and reported that the market will not
> pay thousands of dollars for a product that doesn't include complete
> documentation on paper. Are they right?

> Mark L. Levinson, SEE Technologies, Box 544, Herzlia, Israel
> mark -at- matis -dot- ingr -dot- com | voice +972-9-584684, ext. 230 | fax +972-9-543917

Although there must be many exceptions, they are probably right.
I have heard of numerous incidences of companies turning down undocumented
products or selecting otherwise closely-matched products according to which
had better documentation.

Paper documentation is often given to managers charged with deciding which
product to buy. I formerly worked as a proposal writer. Many of the
requests for proposals REQUIRED that we provide documentation for the products
we proposed. The documentation was sometimes a major factor in influencing
the sale.

Ken Stitzel, Auto-trol Technology Corporation
kensti -at- auto-trol -dot- com