STC-sponsored research project: Value Added

Subject: STC-sponsored research project: Value Added
From: "Larry Kunz ((919) 254-6395)" <ldkunz -at- VNET -dot- IBM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 1994 09:46:15 EST

Mary Beth Raven writes:

> Ginny Redish has done it again. Well, actually, she's trying to do it.
> She and some other people have a grant from the STC to try to come up
> with some of those hard figures like time or money. I know she has
> been looking for pilot projects in real companies, or success stories
> from companies/people who actually tracked stuff like that.

> I believe that when the study is finished, it will be published in the
> STC journal Technical Communication. I don't know WHEN it's supposed
> to be finished, though.

Ginny Redish and Judy Ramey (University of Washington) are collaborating
on the study, "Measuring the Value Added by Technical Communicators."
They expect to complete their work in March, so I think we'll see
something in print in the last half of 1994.

Ginny and Judy have an article in the September, 1993, *Intercom*
(page 10) in which they describe their research and include some
preliminary findings.

Larry Kunz
STC Region 2 Director-Sponsor
ldkunz -at- vnet -dot- ibm -dot- com