Re: Multimedia conversation

Subject: Re: Multimedia conversation
From: Stephen Bernhardt <sbernhar -at- NMSU -dot- EDU>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 1994 10:11:32 -0700

with regard to Ann's thread on what we should be doing with multimedia:

I am at a loss regarding all but the lowest forms of multimediated
communication. I don't see where university programs in tech and prof
communication will get the resources for development platforms or find the
time to know enough to work alongside students who are learning to use
multimedia.

It is expensive to get into, and right now there seems to be so little
stability in the technology, that it would be dangerous to take what money
we have and start investing, say, in DVI. I read about new amazing chips
that will compress video in lightning fast times and decompress it on the
fly, and then I wonder about putting big dollars into what is there right now.

We're working with hypertext now (toolbook) because we have it and it
introduces new forms of writing, but we are not equipped to go much beyond
that.

steve