Re[2]: Advice about tech comm depts

Subject: Re[2]: Advice about tech comm depts
From: Jane Torpie <Jane_Torpie_at_III-HQ -at- RELAY -dot- PROTEON -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1993 14:51:00 EST

Text item: Text_1

Here is the mission statement and charter that our organization had
proposed. At the time we wrote this, we had the writing department spread
over two locations (on opposite coasts!). The simplified description is
that there were 2-3 writers at one site for one product and 1 manager, 2
editors, and 3 writers at the other site for another product. All writers
reported to the manager and the editors did editing/production for all
writers and products.

By request of the writers/editors, the manager wrote the first draft and
sent it out for review and comment. This prompted much lively discussion
and self-examination for individuals and for the group; the final version
of the document was very much a product of group consensus.

-------------------------------
Technical Communications Department

Our Mission:

To use cost-effective means to deliver high-quality information that
describes [our company]'s products and instructs our customers in how to
use them.

Our Charter:

The Technical Communications department is responsible for the following
areas:

* Technical Manuals. The department will research, design, plan, write,
edit, produce, and maintain technical manuals that describe how [our
company]'s products work and how to use them.

* Online Documentation. The department will research,
design, plan, write, edit, produce, and maintain online documentation.
Incorporated into [our company]'s software, such online doc provides
guidance and clarification for our users.

* Internal Documentation. As our schedules allow, the department may
assist Engineering in producing Functional Specifications, then assume
on-going maintenance of these documents. In addition, the department may
work with Engineering to document the components and internal operations of
[our company]'s products.

* Editorial Services. The department can provide editorial guidance and
assistance -- such as proofreading, editing, and production advice -- to
any and all Easel departments that request it, as our schedules allow.

* Graphic Arts Services. The department may provide graphic services.

* User Interface Consulting. The members of the department staff may
assist Engineering in the design and implementation of features that affect
the user interface. Our motto is: If it's too hard to explain, then it's
too hard to use.

* Usability Testing. Members of the department may participate in the
design, implementation, and evaluation of usability testing for our
products and documentation.

* Development Project Leader Teams. A member of the department will
contribute to each Development Project Leader Team formed to assist in the
successful delivery of products.

* Interdepartment task forces. Members of the department may participate,
as appropriate, in task forces formed throughout the company, to share and
gather information.

-------------------------------
Since then, we have undergone a major restructuring and have many fewer
writing resources. (To summarize, writers are assigned permanently to
product development teams, editors are shared, and there is no doc
manager.) This change has just occurred so I cannot comment on how well it
works.

Last summer I attended the Int'l STC Conf. in Dallas. Charlotte Ruenzel of
Deluxe Data Systems presented a workshop to help managers development
statements of mission, objectives, and goals. I have her address if you'd
like it.

Please don't hesitate to contact me if you'd like more information. I wish
you well in your "new" organization!
Jane Torpie
Senior Technical Writer
Easel Corporation